Thursday, May 14, 2009

PZ Myers gave a Commencement Address

Hopefully you are familiar with PZ Myers, a Biologist at a small school in Minnesota who also has a very widely read Blog called Pharyngula. If you are one of the few who read this blog, you know I've linked to many of his articles over the past couple of years. Well this past week he was in California giving the commencement address at the Keck School of Medicine at USC and it was a speech worth noting. I particularly liked his closing comment

"You are graduates of in institution that has encouraged you to think for yourself. I want you all to continue doing that. And what's more, I want you all to think very loudly, so the rest of us can hear."
So I am posting a link to it for all of you to enjoy, and to roll this philosophy in your own life. "Think for yourself and do it loud enough so the rest of us can hear!" Tonight is the meeting of the local school board. I know just the place to practice a bit of this for myself! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You mean he didn't get struck by lightning? Odd. Give em hell at the board meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's not like he was speaking at Liberty University! That task this year went to Bennie Stein who apparently used it to push his mockumentary.

    I don't expect much at the school board meeting, it's not like they are going to try and decide on Intelligent Design. That's pretty quite in Ohio right now.

    ReplyDelete