Monday, March 7, 2016

MythBusters Ends!

On a sad note, this weekend was the final episode of MythBusters!  It was one of the few TV shows on my DVR.

(Image Credit: DonFeria/AP Images For Discovery Communications)
Along the 14 year run, they did something quite amazing, they made science cool.  I wish any of them had been one of my science teachers in HS.  If I were a science teacher I would have been watching each and every week and taking some of their small scale experiments to actually do in the classroom.  No, not the big explosions, but imagine how cool it would be to accelerate a ping pong ball to 1100 mph or testing the old legend of pop-rocks exploding and killing Mikey from the Life cereal commercials.  I am sure many of the small scale test would have made some of my chemistry, biology, and physics classes much more interesting.  You could have teamed them up with Shop classes for fabrication!

My two favorite images of the team come from the same episode, the final visit to the JATO car:
If they had been walking into the sunset it might have been more poignant, at least for this past weekend's episodes.  It is nice to know they will continue to be airing all the shows on the Science Channel, but it won't be the same without new episodes to enjoy.

Unwillingly, I guess it's time to say goodbye to the MythBusters.  They had their final episode and even a reunion show, which brought back Kari, Grant, and Tory for a bit of a round-table discussion.  Both shows are well worth watching and the final scene of the reunion show is absolutely hilarious.  I am willing to bet MythBusters' audience will get the reference instantly!

So farewell to Adam, Jamie, Kari, Grant, and Tory after nearly a decade and a half of science and silliness!  Good luck in all that you do and know you had a profound effect on a great many people, especially this computer geek. Thank you all so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment