Monday, September 29, 2014

Occam's Razor used to explain the difference between Creationism and Evolution

Caught this from the Immoral Minority Blog.  It's not one I regularly read, but I might have to add it to my list. "Never has the difference between Creationism and Evolution been explained quite so well."




Could it be much more succinct?  I don't think so.

If you aren't sure of the meaning, let me place it in context . . . you might remember Kirk Cameron as an actor from the old show 'Growing Pains', starring Alan Thicke and Joanna Kerns and ended over 20 years ago.  Towards the end of the show he converted the Christianity, and not just the run-of-the-mill, but the Evangelical variety.  He partnered up with Ray "Banana Man" Comfort and they run a ministry to train other Christians how to be Evangelicals.  (Evangelicals need to learn how to be Evangelicals?)  Ray's the guy constantly claiming the banana is the evolutionists' nightmare, forgetting to mention that the banana he continually fondles doesn't exist in nature but the results of selective breeding by man . . . yea, that Ray Comfort.

You might also remember Kirk from a few years back he, and others, distributed free copies of an altered version of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species on college campuses.  The book consisted of Darwin's text with four chapters of the book removed, and with an added introduction by Ray Comfort reiterating common creationist assertions about Darwin and evolution, such as the whole 'Darwin is responsible for Hitler' creationist canard.

Hopefully you didn't need any explanation, but if you did, now you can place the image in an appropriate context.  I gave serious thought to not writing this, but Kirk isn't exactly a household name anymore.  Now, if you need info on physicist Stephen Hawking, just Google it -- there's a ton -- much more than Kirk.   I believe Hawking's list of awards is considerably longer than Cameron's entire filmography :-) 

It is, I peeked at Wikipedia.  In fact it looks like Hawking's filmography is longer than Cameron's . . . well it made me laugh.  In any event, now you have context for the image and the caption, which really made my day!

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Much to my chagrin I know who Cameron AND Comfort are.
    (and Hawking)
    I found your blog via the Sensuous Curmudgeon.
    Bookmarked it
    I spend way to much time being underwelmed at the crap of fundies.
    Unfortunately laughing's a drug and i'm hooked

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dax,
    Welcome to my little corner of the web, maybe cobweb would a better description. :-)

    I find way too much humor in the whole creationism vs science argument. I would probably laugh more if it wasn't for such a potential negative impact on education. When I was at the Creation Museum and I read about how giant log rafts explained geographical biodiversity after Noah's Flood . . . the hardest thing in the world was not breaking up laughing. I did get a few looks from security :-)

    Ted

    ReplyDelete