Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Arte-y-pico Award

GumbyTheCat awarded this blog an "Arte Y Pico" award! Gumby's write up is here. I have to thank Gumby and tell you a little about his blog. I enjoy it on several levels. First of all Gumby isn't overly technical in the level of scientific detail of biology, which as a non-biologist I appreciate! Plus Gumby is another example of someone who can be a Christian and still understand and support science. This is important to me! All too frequently anyone who supports science, evolution in particular gets accused of being atheists, or worse. I know I've mentioned it on this blog (here). You would think being called the Anti-Christ would put me off, but I just see it as another chance to educate -- plus have a little fun tugging on chains. I think Gumby sees it much the same way. He does a great job at pulling chains as well!

Again I would like to thank Gumby and as tempting as it would be to re-award this back, I will list my other 5 favorite blogs and spread the wealth, so to speak.

Here are the rules from the originating website, http://arteypico.blogspot.com/:

  • You have to pick 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award, creativity, design, interesting material, and also contributes to the blogger community, no matter of language.
  • Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog to be visited by everyone.
  • Each award-winning, has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog that has given her or him the award itself.
  • Award-winning and the one who has given the prize have to show the link of “Arte y pico” blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award.
  • To show these rules.
So here are Five Blogs of note for me personally are:
  1. Pharnygula, from PZ Myers. If you are involved in the "Evolution vs. All Comers"debate you are probably already familiar with this blog. Dr. Myers continues to be one of the champions of science and a consistent public critic of the Intelligent Design Movement.
  2. Panda's Thumb has won many awards, and it's another site anyone familiar with the Evolution debate should already know. It isn't the work of one person, but about 35, including PZ Myers. Here is where I go for much of the meat and potatoes of what's going on around the rest of the world in the debates.
  3. Total Drek is another one I enjoy for it's irreverence as much as it's content. Drek is a post-grad student with an affinity for mental meandering. I do believe that if I ran into Drek in a dark alley, I would end up laughing hysterically.
  4. A lesser known blog that really focuses on South Carolina happenings is Not Very Bright. Contrary to its name, I find it's evolution/Intelligent Design coverage brilliant. This is the blog that told me, and many others, about the disgrace being perpetrated by the State School Board President Elect in selected new biology textbooks. Not-Very-Bright seems to have taken part of the summer off, well I will miss it. Hopefully it'll be back in the fall and raring to go on presidential politicos and keeping an eye on Mrs. Kristin Maguire (the aforementioned head of the SC School Board)
  5. Anyone that posts a photographic walking tour of the new Creation Museum is worth an award. Whatever is the brainstorm of John Scalzi and it has been "Taunting the Tauntable since 1998"
There you have it, my selections for the Arte-Y-Pico awards!

1 comment:

  1. "Gumby isn't overly technical in the level of scientific detail of biology"

    That's because when you look up the word "layman" in Webster's, you'll see my picture. lol.

    Thanks for the nice writeup.

    ReplyDelete